Hunsecker’s Mill Covered Bridge was originally constructed in 1848 (some sources say 1843) by Joseph Russell and, at 180 feet in length, is the longest single-span covered bridge in Lancaster County. The original bridge was destroyed by flood waters in 1869 and the replacement was destroyed during Hurricane Agnes in 1972. In 1973 the bridge was reconstructed for a second time. On May 16, 2005 the bridge was closed after a tractor-trailer truck attempted to cross it. It was again repaired and is still in use. The bridge is located on Hunsecker Road and spans the Conestoga River between Manheim and Upper Leacock Townships.
Click here for a map and driving directions from the Historical Society to Hunsecker’s Mill Covered Bridge.
Evans, Benjamin D. and June R. Evans. Pennsylvania’s Covered Bridges: A Complete Guide. Pittsburgh: University of Pittsburgh Press, c1993.
Collins, Kenneth W. Covered Bridges of Lancaster County, Pennsylvania. [Elizabethtown, Pa.: K.W. Collins], c2002 (Ephrata, PA : Printed by CPC/Science Press).
Hunsecker’s Mill Covered Bridge. Article on Wikipedia. Accessed July 21, 2008.
Hunsecker’s Mill Covered Bridge. Page on the website of Lancaster County PA Dutch Country. Accessed July 21, 2008.
Lancaster City Loop Covered Bridge Tour. From the Lancaster County website. Accessed July 21, 2008.